AHMEDNAGAR FORT

One of the most well planned and well built land forts of Ahmednagar is situated in the eastern part of the original city, which itself was once strongly fortified. The construction of the fort which started in 1494 under the first Nizamshah underwent major changes in the later half of the 16th century under Burhan, the second Nizamshah. Its oval circumference is over two kilometers and is surrounded by formerly a water filled moat and now a dry ditch, 85-180 feet wide and 14 to 20 feet deep. The massive curtain wall built of finely cut stones, rises above 80 feet from the bottom of the ditch and is strengthened by 24 bastions and parapets. The two entrances could be reached only after crossing the moat over the suspension draw bridges. During the 1596 siege, the Mughals reputed as ‘mine masters’ succeeded in blasting and breaching a portion of the wall. But the Chandbibi got the wall of 90 feet high and 6 feet wide repaired within one night, so as to face the enemy in the next morning.

In the later period, the Ahmednagar fort was mainly used for confining political prisoners. During the dark years of ‘Hindvi Swarajya’ Nana Phadanvis, was confined here by his opponents while during the ‘Quit India’ movement in 1942, the entire Congress Working Committee was detained here for over three years. Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru’s ‘Discovery of India’ was written at the Ahmednagar fort during this period.

Nearest Railway Station : Ahmednagar

Your Comments, Suggestions, Feedback on this topic will be highly appreciated
EmoticonEmoticon